Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index CANOE TRIP DESTINATIONS Okatoma Creek (Hattiesburg, MS)

Okatoma Creek - Hattiesburg, MS

"Easy class I & II runs, enough to keep you excited, and slow enough to just relax." Several different runs to enjoy.

Okatoma Creek - Hattiesburg, MS

Postby ElJefe » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:16 am

"Gently flowing pristine stream with sandbars, waterfalls, shoals, bluffs, and high banks covered with Maple, Birch, and Magnolias; creating canopy effect; variety of flora, wild life, and riverine species." - Class A River, US Dept of Interior

Canoed and Kayaked this creek many times. Easy class I & II runs, enough to keep you excited, and slow enough to just relax.

Recommended run - Upper Short to Fairchild of the Okatoma begins at Seminary (MS HWY 590) and ends at Fairchild's Landing. It is approximately 7 creek miles with the 3 main falls of the upper run. The trip usually takes 3 to 4 hours (or up to 8 if you swim alot - lots of swimming holes with rope swings along the way - usually my choice); this allows ample time for picnicing and swimming.

Other Runs -

The Upper Run of Okatoma begins at Seminary (MS HWY 590) and ends at Sanford (MS HWY 598). It is approximately 13 creek miles with 3 main waterfalls, which makes this the most popular float. The trip usually takes 4 to 6 hours; this allows ample time for picnicing and swimming.

The Lower Run begins at Sanford and ends at Lux. This trip is approximately 6 creek miles with 2 small waterfalls. Float time is 2 to 3 hours.

The Upper and Lower Runs can be combined for a 19 mile float. Folks usually camp over night on this one.

Recommended Outfitter/Campgrounds -

Okatoma Outdoor Post
www.okatoma.com
Phone for Reservations
601-722-4297
1-888-OKATOMA

Primitive creekside camping, improved camping spots (water and electricity), rental cabins, tipis, trading post, showers, great folk!

Open 8 AM - 8 PM
March 1 - October 31 (and other times by appointment)
ElJefe

Return to Okatoma Creek (Hattiesburg, MS)